|On the Ocean side of the Indian
River is the historical district of Coronado. It encompasses
a little over 2 blocks of Flaglar Ave (North Causeway) and
extends north to near Due East Avenue and south to Columbus
at its farthest boundary. It is listed in the National
Register of Historic Places where a list of
historic places worthy of preservation is kept. Strolling
around the area gives one a sense of what it might have looked like many
The first settlers were brought from Crete, Minorca. Majorca, Ibiza, the Mani Penninsula, Sicily and Smyrna. Around 1500 settlers were brought over by Dr. Andrew Turnbull to grow Hemp, sugarcane and indigo as well as make rum. He called his settlement New Smyrna. These folks were not only exposed to insects carrying diseases and Native American raids but also mistreatment by Turnbull. After many had died, and conditions were so severe, they walked all the way to St. Augustine along the Old King's Highway in 1777 to complain to the officials there. The territory was at that time under the rule of Britain. Not long after the territory again was under the Spanish and Turnbull left his colony to retire in Charleston, SC. In St. Augustine a statue in their honor tells their history and can be seen at the St. Photios National Shrine on St. George St.
During the Civil War the North shelled the "Stone Wharf" . The town was finally incoporated in 1887 as New Smyrna with a population of 150. When Henry Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway was laid into New Smyrna many people migrated and settled here. The area has been supported econically by citrus, commercial fishing and tourism.
Now two bridges span the river making the beachside accessible. Driving is allowed on the beach with the speed a crawl and enforced. Drive lanes are now in place since many of the visitors take advantage of the sun and spread their towels all over the area. As the tides ebb and wain so must the beach goers move their spot or become water logged. For those who just enjoy seeing the ocean but don't care so much for the sand, the are has several places where cars can park and several have board or paved walkways to stroll and sit on. Take yourself back and imagine that you are the only one on the beach. What a thought.
Surf boards and fisherman vie with the swimmers for a spot in the water. At the north end of the beach is an inlet which has a jetty of large rocks marking the south side of the inlet. It extends out into to ocean a little way to help control the beach erosion. The currents are fairly strong there and swimming is not a good idea. Many fisherman however, walk the rocks to find their favorite spot. Along the shore, you can often see small sea creatures.
Now the area on the mainland is also designated as New Smryna Beach as well. Near the western end of town there is an old Sugar Mill Ruin. There is not much left to see but it is a quiet tree canopied area with several stone ruins dotting the landscape. This is located near where the shopping centers along Hwy 44 are - not to be confused with the subdivision near I-75.
The old fort on the land side by the North Causeway is a pleasant place to walk around and bring a picnic lunch.
|The Deland News, Deland, FLA.,
September 10, 1909
Coronado, Sept. 8 - Mr. Geo. Warren
has purchased a small launch from
Master Charley Berry, of New Smyrna,
and intends to start in the fish business.
We wish him every success.
Frank Swartengreen drove down from
Ormond to visit his aunt. Mrs. Barber,
and also take in the moving picture
show at New Smyrna.
Mr. and Mrs. Dan and daughter left
for their home at Orlando after spen-
ding a week at the Atlantic House. They took home two large bas to treat their
Mr. Dunbar, of Longwood,is stopping for a few days at the Barber House.
Will return later for a longer stay.
Roddy Douglass has gone to Orange
City to visit his brother for a few days
and will also help out on the ball team.
Mr. Loring Mace, wife and baby went
to Daytona Sunday in their launch to spend the day, visitin Mrs. Mace's
Mr. Southernlin gave the children inMrs. Osborne, of Zellwood, stopped
the Sunday school a splendid talk on
Africa last Sunday, it being Missionary
Sunday. The discourse was enjoyed
by all present, being very interesting.
Mr. Carr has purchased the launch
Mr. John Carrigan left in charge of
Mr. Gray. Mr. Carr and family are
\enjoying the river and fishing more
over to visit her daughter, Mrs. Helen
Vrooman, on her waqy home from the North, where she spent the summer. She will remain only a short time now but
will return again in October.
Several large bass have been caught
this week, leading off with Mrs. Carr
catching a thrity-two pounder.. Rev.
Zeigler one weighing twenty-eight lbs., and Mr. Gray last with one of thirty lbs - all from the bridge or near it.
Mrs. J. H. Vrooman went to Oak Hill Saturday, taking her granddaughter,
Leola along to visit her son Lloyd, and
Capt. J. W. Willmot, of Orlando, was
fishing for bass from the bridge when
he hooked a big one, but only got half ashore, a big shark eating the best of it.
Then he set a line for Mr. Shark and
caught one unknown in these waters about 5 ft. long, and many said it was a leopard shark, any way it was awful
poor and boney.
Mr. Myre, of Lake HElen, drove over Sunday to spend a few days in his beach cottage.
Mr. Gus Stevens and his bride left
for their new home in Hastings. We were sorry to see them leave so soon.
Mr. and Mrs Elves, son and daugh-
ter drove over from Conway in their
auto and are in their river cottage; will
Lloyd Vrooman, wife and children came over from Oak Hill to spend a
few days visiting his parents and other relatives.
Mrs. J. H. Vrooman entertained the Priscilla Club last Friday. It was a
pleasant day and most of the members
came out. Some were obliged to remain at home and can guavas. A great deal
of the conversation was on how to raise
children properly - a sortof a mother's meeting. Around 4:00 p. m. the nicest
layer cake and iced soda water were
served and enjoyed.
The conregation was glad to welcome
their pastor, Rev. R. F. Porter, Sunday
afternoon, after his vacation. He re-
turns much improved in health and ap-
Hal Chilton is a great sportsman, and
knows the fine points about fishing, for
Tuesday he landed a jewfish, from the
bridge, with a rod and reel. Now that's
Through the efforts of Mrs. Douglass,
a fine individual communion set has
been purchased for our church and will
be ready for use at the next service.