by Henry A. DeLand in 1884 as DeLand Academy. He
John H. Griffin had opened it the previous year. Not only did DeLand
pay the teachers, build the building with his own money but he also
began the town of DeLand and was its first inhabitant. He
a large amount of land and proceeded to map out streets and build
houses and buildings for residents to move into when they decided to
settle in his town all at his own expense. Those early
decided the name of the town should be DeLand, named after him.
In October of 1884 the newly completed DeLand Hall was built at a cost
of $4,000.00 and is today the oldest continuously used higher
educational building in Florida. 1885 saw a name
from DeLand Academy to DeLand College. It's first president
John F. Forbes, 32, who was personally selected by DeLand. He
remained in that position until 1904. His credentials were
graduation from Rochester University, former professor at the State
Normal School, Brockport, N.Y. His beginning salary was
year and room and board for he and his family. With the
more people, the college grew as well from 88 to 300 in 1904.
More buildings; Stetson, Chaudoin, Elizabeth (pictured above)
Flagler Halls were added to accomodate the growth.as well as
President's home. Prior to building the home, Stetson Hall
been a multipurpose building with .living quarters for the Forbes,
offices, a dining room, a kitchen and a room for the preceptress.
This building with such modern comveniences as a furnace and
running water on all three floors cost $12,000. to construct.
In 1886 The Florida State Legislature chartered DeLand
DeLand University. It was renamed in 1888 to John B. Stetson
University. Stetson's first intermural football game was
on Nov. 29, 1894 and drew hundreds of spectators. A School of
Business Administration was added in 1897 and the Stetson University
College of Law, Florida's first law school, opened in 1900.
Stetson attracted Henry M. Flagler's interest and he gifted the
university with $60,000. The three story building was similar
buildings he financed was in the Mediterranean style which was used in
other projects he built in St. Augustine and Palm Beach.
Hall opened in 1903 but was not named such until after Flagler's death
in 1913. He reqeusted his gift be kept secred fearing other
schools would wish him to do likewise for them.
In 1904 there was a new president, Lincoln, 39. He has had
longest tenure of any of the school's presidents. Prior to coming to
Stetson, He graduated from Bucknell University , doing post-grad work
at Harvard. He then taught history at Bucknell and moved on
his position at Stetson. He was a man who knew how to manage his time,
serving in the Florida Senate for two terms while serving as president
of Stetson. More students brought the student body to 500 and
buildings were added to the campus. He died without retiring in 1934.
Another prominent philanthropist, Andrew Carengie, financed Sampson
Hall which opened in 1908. John Stetson's wife contributed a
matching gift of $40,000, for endowment. This building was
designed by the first Floridian to earn membership in the American
Institute of Architects, John Klutho. It's classic
is repeated in many other Carnegie Libraries.
C. T. Sampson, a unviersity trustee, contributed for years to the
Stetson's library fund and willed another $20,000 for a library
endowment upon his death in 1893. The name became Sampson Hall in his