Churches of Taylor County, Fl. 




Perry Roman Catholic Church, 1918--


Denomination:  Catholic
Affiliation:  Was St. Alfred Ctholic Church, 1918-26
Location 1939: ½ mi W of Courthouse, Perry       
Location 2013: 

Mail addr: 
Current pastor: 
Telephone: 
Church Historian:  Interviewed: 



     Organized 1817 in a small frame structure located on present site; met here until blown down, 1926.  Name was changed when the church was rebuilt 1926.  It is a large white rectangular wooden structure. This church used to be on Tallahassee charge; in 1930 was changed with priest-in-charge stationed at Perry, for the church in Madison, Perry, Live Oak and Lake City. It has no bell- has plat on front with "Roman Catholic Mission of the Maculate Conception"' Rev. John Francis McKeown. No other special features.


   Pastors who have served this church are:
    o    first settled priest-in-charge was Rev. R. L. Littleton, 1918-19, Catholic University, Washington, D. C.

    o    present (1940) priest-in-charge,Rev. J. F. McKeown, 183400, Box 88 Perry, Duquesne University, Pittsburg, PA.; Roman Major Seminary, Rome, Italy.


Church records:

     1) REGISTER, 1930-- 1 vol. Showing members, baptisms, briths, deaths, burials, marriages, first communions with dates, all appropriate details, officiating priest. Contains also financial records all receipts and disbursements, Custody, Father J.  F. McKeown, Box 88 Perry.  The records from 1918 through 1929 are chrge of Rev. William Carroll, Tallahassee, Fl

    2) Organizations - Christian Doctrine Club, Altar Society.

References:  1939 WPA Historic Records Survey




Return to Taylor

FLGenWeb Counties    FLGenWeb Archives
©2013- FLGenWeb Project, Inc.