is a suburb of St.
Petersburg. Originally named Disston City in 1884 when Hamilton Disston
purchased land here. The name changed to Bonifacio due to conflict with
Hillsborough County in which a town already had the same name. In 1890
the city saw another name change, "Veteran City," but by 1910 the city
of Gulfport was established.
Gulfport is the art lovers dream. A
the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month called "Art Walk,' attracts many
locals and tourists to its calming and cultural atmosphere. With its
mix of small cottages,shops, restaurants and other businesses, Gulfport
is "Old Florida". The mature oaks and brick paved streets are inviting.
The city is home to two public schools; Boca Ciega High School and