Mrs. Margaret Turner Rogers
Pinellas County Pioneer




 
Mrs. Margaret Ann Rogers, known locally as “Aunt Maggie,” was the daughter of David B and Mary Campbell Turner, who came to Clearwater before the Civil War. She was born at the old Sever place on Druid Road on February 13, 1852. Her family moved to Clear Water Harbor, which is now Clearwater, in 1854. Her father at one time owned all the land between Drew Street and the South Ward School and east of Ft. Harrison Ave. establishing a trading post and a rooming house as well and was the first postmaster. He was killed a short time after the Civil War by Indians.  Margaret married Joel W. Rogers in 1868.

When she died on 5-5-1937, at the age of 86, she left nine children, twenty-seven grandchildren, forty great-grandchildren and five great-great grandchildren. Her five sons…Walter W, Wilbur and Mitchell of St. Petersburg; Joel, Jacksonville and  Arthur of Clearwater; four daughters, Mrs Abbie Drew; Mrs Julia Guy, Clearwater; Mrs Leola Haines, Philadelphia; and Mrs Agnes Roach of Tampa.

Mrs. Rogers died at Morton Plant Hospital after an illness of two years and was buried at the Clearwater Municipal Cemetery. At the time of her death she was the oldest living person born in what is now Pinellas County.

Author: Linda Flowers
Source: St. Petersburg Times; Ancestry Public Family Tree




This Page Created August 2, 2011
Copyrighted 2011-   Linda Flowers
Return To: Pinellas Home     Return To: FLGW       Return To: Pinellas County Pioneers
Graphics