John R. Jeffords
Pinellas County Pioneer






John Royal Jeffords was born in Ocala, November 20, 1869 and came to Clearwater at about six months of age with his parents Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Jeffords and sibblings. Their first home was  a log cabin  built near the location of old Fort Harrison.

Mr. Jeffords was probably Clearwater's oldest resident who was not a native. He served as a city councilman for three terms; 1901 to 1904; 1905 to 1906 and from 1907 to 1910. He was also the mayor of Clearwater serving two terms;1906 to 1907 and from 1914 to 1916. He was a pioneer developer and along with his partner George Smoyer, was responsible for the construction of several large commercial buildings and the first man in Clearwater to engage commercially in the citrus business.

He built his home at Sunset Court in 1910 and lived there continuosly until his death on April 5, 1946 at Morton Plant Hospital after a long illness. His wife Mrs. E. Gale Armstrong survived him. They were married in 1896. His funeral took place at the Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, of which he was a member with the Rev. D. P. McGeachy, Jr officiating. He is buried in the Clearwater Municipal Cemetery.

Author: Linda Flowers
Source: St Petersburg Times: The Evening Independent



This Page Created August 3, 2011
Copyrighted © 2011-   Linda Flowers
Return To: Pinellas Home      Return To: FLGW      Return To: Pinellas County Pioneers

Graphics