Hettie A. Haines
Pinellas County Pioneer




Hettie A. Haines, Pioneer of City, Succumbs at 78

Had Long Been Active In Church And Civic Affairs

Mrs. Hettie A. Haines, 78, pioneer resident of this city, and for many years prominent in local civic and church work, died this morning at 8:30 o’clock at her residence, 301 1/2 Central avenue.

Mrs. Haines came here with her husband, the late G. B. Haines, in 1893 from near Reading, Pa. Soon after their arrival they opened a jewelry business at Fourth street and Central avenue, and continued in business until they purchased the property at the corner of Third street and Central avenue. The business was discontinued after the death of Mr. Haines in 1915.

In 1925 Mr. Haines constructed the Haines building at the northwest corner of Third street and Central avenue, now occupied by the Wilson-Chase company. She lived in an apartment in the Haines building.

Mrs. Haines was one of the pioneers in the Women’s Town Improvement association, and was assisted in the early work of this organization by her husband. They helped plant the first grass in Williams park.

She was a member of the Orpheus club for about 30 years, and was a member of the choir of the First Congregational church for 18 years. For twenty years she was treasurer of Women’s association of the church. Mrs. Haines was also a contributor to charity on many occasions.

Survivors include a half-sister, Mrs. Andorah Bower, Topton, Pa. and several nieces and nephews. Funeral arrangements will be announced later by the Palma Memorial. 

Source: Evening Independent: 6-4-1941

 Transcribed, Formatted and Submitted by Linda Flowers



This Page Created April 29, 2015
Copyrighted 2015- Linda Flowers
Return To: Home     Return To: FLGenWeb