Ozona, On Its Beautiful Bay - A Gem Of The Western Coast
(A 1914 Sketch)


    Ozona is about midway north and south of peerless Pinellas Peninsula. This peninsula being almost surrounded by water, is an ideal location for trucking and the cultivation of citrus fruit, as the water renders the temperature more equable than in other parts of the State in the same latitude. With the Atlantic Coastline Railroad on one side of the town and St. Joseph’s Bay-- an arm of the Gulf of Mexico—on the other, communication with Tampa and the towns up and down the peninsula is easily effected.

 Advantages

    Ozona has block after block of cement pavement, is electrically lighted and has telegraph and telephone connection with other parts of the state; also three good stores, postoffice, two churches, commodious schools, a fine town hall, built and owned by the Ladies Club.

 Rock Road

     A splendid hard surface road connects with the main highway from St. Petersburg to Tampa and the northern part of the state. This road, passing through the business part of the town, leads directly to the bay, where a turn over and easy loop is made back into the main road, thus making an ideal automobile route.
     At this point is obtained one of the finest views of the Gulf and Anclote lighthouse along the coast. Automobile parties from Tampa and neighboring towns often stop here and enjoy lunch, under beautiful cedar trees, around which the Ladies Club have put comfortable seats.

 Packing Houses

     The three packing houses located here afford ample opportunity for the shipping of the hundreds of carloads of oranges and grapefruit raised in the vicinity. The Florida Citrus Exchange, electrically equipped for washing, drying and polishing its fruit, handles much of this fruit.  The Ozona Packing Company, J. A. Snell, manager, employs gasoline engines for its power. Dr. W. C. Richardson, has a private packing house near the other two. 
    In the northern markets for the last two years fruit packed by the Ozona branch of the Florida Citrus Exchange has been in steady demand.

 Incorporation

     Ozona is the youngest town on the peninsula, having been incorporated November 10, 1914, and is now considering many changes for the betterment of the town. Here are to be found many commodious and comfortable homes owned both by people who remain the year round and by tourists  who come early and stay late, and thus enjoy the comforts of their Northern homes while escaping the discomforts of the cold weather.  These homes have all the conveniences to be found in the homes of the larger cities, namely, bath, electric lights, telephone and sleeping porches.
    The largest hotel—“the Eavey Cottage”—is an excellent hosteiry. It is situated on an eminence and has a splendid view of the Gulf of Mexico and Anclote lighthouse. The rates are moderate and the cuisine strictly first class.
    Private board can be obtained at a number of clean, moderate-priced boarding houses.

Bathing, Boating, Fishing

    Visitors can find here splendid bathing and boating, the surrounding waters being absolutely safe for bathing.
    Boats can be found of various kinds, whether rowboats or sailboats, while medium sized launches are constantly going back and forth.  Some fine pleasure launches, suitable for long cruises, are owned by resident people and visitors.
    Good fishing is to be had close at hand and many good strings of fish are brought in during the season.

Public Docks

A public dock, with cement piers, extends out two hundred feet to a good channel. This dock was built by the Ladies’ Club.

Bridge

    Matters are progressing towards the building of a bridge connecting the mainland with an island, some distance away, giving access to the Gulf beach. This will make Ozona one of the most important places on the coast, as auto parties will come from miles around to enjoy the picnicking and serf bathing on the hard, white sand of the Gulf beach.
    It is proposed to have an auto speedway on this hard beach, together with many other attractions.
Real estate is constantly changing hands, a number of new houses have been erected and a general air of prosperity pervades the place.
    A number of tourists have driven down from the North in their autos; some have had their cars shipped, while others keep their cars the year round. A number are owned by the home people and parties are made up during the season to enjoy the many rides or to visit the places of interest around.

Written by Mrs. M. E. Young
Transcribed , Formatted and Submitted by Linda Flowers   

Source: Tampa Tribune: 12-13-1914

   

Image Linda Flowers and is not to be reproduced in any format without written consent.


This Page Is Created June 10, 2014
Copyrighted 2014-   Linda Flowers  Photo
Return To Articles and Stories     Return To: Pinellas Home