Capt. Charles R. Carter







For years a railroad conductor, then a real estate dealer and now one of the heads of a big insurance business, Capt. Charles R. Carter has become one of the leading prosperous citizens of St. Petersburg and has had an active part in business and political affairs here. He has been a member of the city commission for several years, was chairman for two years and has been acting mayor several times. His present home is at 318 Fifth avenue south.

Capt. Carter was born April 30, 1878, in Lowndes County, Georgia. He attended the common schools in that county and began work with the Plant system of railroads, now the Atlantic Coast Line in 1898. He started as a flagman and in 1900 was promoted to be a conductor and was transferred to the Florida division. He was put on the St. Petersburg run for the A. C. L. railway and moved here in 1909 continuing with the railroad. In 1912 he left the railroad service and entered the real estate business with John Larson, also a railroad man.

Capt. Carter married Miss Lula DeLoach, in Albany, Georgia, in 1912 and they have three children, Charles, Ann Elizabeth and Frank. Capt. Carter’s mother, Mrs. Martha Carter, makes her home with him.

Capt. Carter is now associated with James G. Foley in the Foley-Carter Company which specializes in insurance of all kinds with real estate as a side line. Capt. Carter was in the fire insurance business from 1914 to 1917 and then bought an interest in the Foley-Carter Company.

Capt. Carter is a member of the Elks, I. O. O. F. and Modern Woodmen lodges and also the Yacht, Rotary and Country Clubs. His favorite sport is golf and he believes that what St. Petersburg needs most is a pull together by everybody here, especially among the city officials.


Source: Evening Independent: 1-1-1924

Transcribed, Formatted and Submitted by Linda Flowers

 



This Page Created May 29, 2012
Copyrighted 2012-   Linda Flowers
Return To: Pinellas Home    Return To: Profiles    Return To: FLGW