Our Towns Transcribed # 2






































Lochbie

Lochbie is a trading post for the southwestern side of Orange Lake. It has two stores, a saw mill, church, etc. It is a large shipping point and thousands of oranges and vegetables in crates pass annually through its depot. Orange Lake is the name of its post office. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885







































Nichols

Nichols is a community of settlers from Massachusetts and Rhode Island, located two miles southwest of Reddick. George B. Nichols, of Boston, is its representative man. It shipped 900 boxes of oranges last season. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885






































Conant

A station on the Florida Southern Railway, twenty-five miles south of Ocala and five miles south of Lake Weir. It is an outgrowth of a corporation composed of seven capitalists-three Northern-three Southern and one Englishman.

The improvements made within the year have been extensive. The lands are high and rolling. A large hotel is enclosed and finished for October occupancy. The place is intended for a winter home for Northerners and a sanitarium. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885








































Griner Farm

This is a section of country lying immediately between the F. R. & N. Co.’s line and the Florida Southern Railway, five miles north of Ocala and is one of the most fertile and productive portions of Marion County and the equal of any lands in the state. It is heavily timbered with oak, hickory and pine and is known as mixed lands, also of extensive bodies of hammock with natural orange groves. It will grow to perfection 25 to 40 bushels of corn per acre, oats 25 to 50, rye 15 to 20, wheat 15 to 20, rice 25 to 40, 600 gallons of syrup, 100 bushels of sweet potatoes, 400 bushels of peanuts and is the paradise of the truck farmer. Lands cultivated in corn for forty-five years without rotation of crops, will grow 35 to 40 bushels and without the aid of fertilizers. It is also a splendid stock country. Horses, cows and hogs do finely, with little or no attention or feed, except what nature supplies them. The dairy interest could be profitably followed, as butter equal to the best, can and is made with quick sales and at good prices at your door. The foregoing facts have been given by an old resident of thirty years in the county, who has raised a large family and enjoyed excellent health. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885





































Citra

This is a station on the Florida Railway and Navigation Company’s line, twenty-one miles north of Ocala. It is a place of importance, being the center of the largest producing orange groves in the state. Surrounding this village are located the justly famous Harris, Bishop, the Bishop-Hoyt, Clifford and other groves. These are all natural groves, the trees simply budded with sweet varieties of oranges. Besides nature’s planting, there are a great many very fine bearing groves that have been made within the past five or ten years, by their enterprising owners, a number of whom began their work with, but very little of this world’s goods.

Citra enjoys all the facilities and advantages of railroad communication, besides the usual complements of stores, of which there are six general merchandizing establishments doing a yearly business of 150,000 cash, one drug store, a number of building houses, a hotel, a handsome church, a commodious and comfortable school house. There are a number of very attractive private dwelling houses and evidence of growth are visible in every direction. A general air of thrift and prosperity prevails. Lands are in good demand at from $75 to $100 per acre from fair to medium pine, to $100 up to $200 for desirable hammock land anywhere within a distance of a mile or two from the depot. Either a first class hotel would be a desirable acquisition to the place, or someone to keep the Citra House in a manner commensurate with the prominence of the place, and the host of people, who are attracted tither to view the natural groves, which have gained such celebrity by their extent of acreage and profile yield. Citra shipped the last season, 108,000 boxes of oranges. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

 1908 Registered Voters








































Orange Lake

Orange Lake is the largest body of water in Marion County and has a world-wide reputation for being the largest orange production section in the world, in proportion to acres and the quality of fruit is surpassed by none. Twelve years ago the wild groves yielded to the advance of orange culture and now something like 200,000 boxes are shipped annually from its borders. The lake is in size about eighteen miles long and six wide, with considerable vegetable matter on its surface, which is an indication of rich hammock lands, surrounding it, which can be well claimed to be the most alluvial and highly productive in the state. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

































Benedict Farm

Benedict Farm, located three miles west of Reddick station on the Florida Southern Railway, is a colony mostly from Main, whose purchases and improvements in planted groves represent 700 acres of land. They have a desirable hotel, stores, etc. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

 
































Whitesville

Lake Weir Station, on the F. R. & N. Co.’s line, or Whitesville, as the post office is known, is distant fifteen miles south from Ocala. It consists of a community of some twenty families in the immediate neighborhood of the post office and station. It borders on the rich hammock lands known as “Long Swamp Hammock,” but why so called is a mystery, since no swamp or wetlands exist, and every acre cleared is tillable. Several hundred acres in the immediate vicinity have been planted in groves and devoted to vegetable growing. In orange culture Mr. Samuel R. Frink leads, having forty acres in grove form and ten acres in nursery, both of which are doing finely and give evidence in their prosperous growth of the fertility of the soil and its adaptability for orange trees and vegetable growing. The representatives in the last named articles are Messrs. Newsome, Mitchell, House and Fred Lucius, whose labors have been well repaid in raising beans, tomatoes, Irish potatoes and cabbages.

Mr. Paul Cook and Phillip H. Nugent are successfully cultivating an orange grove on old pine land that has been producing for forty years and this year has netted $2,000 on ten acres of cabbages on old hammock land that has been tilled the same length of time.

The bearing groves on pine lands are those of Mr. C. H. White, Samuel R. Frink, S. Fletcher Frink, Lemuel G. Dillard and William Lucius. Mr. D. has an orange tree on his place that measures eight feet six inches in circumference a foot from the ground, forty-five feet in height and has borne from 8,000 to 10,000 oranges in a season. It’s age is about twenty-five years, never had any fertilizers and very little care.

There are some first-class pine land in and around Whitesville, which are cheap and can be bought for $10 dollars an acre; hammock $40 to $80 an acre.

The people are hospitable, peaceable and generous; believe in schools and churches, patronize all the social agencies that mark a Christian and progressive people.

The general health of the place is good. The citizens invite the people of the outside world to drop in among them and see and convince themselves of their advantages.

Besides a soil well adapted for growing oranges and vegetables, the hammock lands produce sugar cane,  corn and long staple cotton, 250 to 500 pounds to the acre; 18 to 20 barrels of syrup and 30 to 60 bushels of corn to the acre. Pine lands of good quality about half the quantity of hammock. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885.

 

 


































Lake Weir

In beauty of location and healthfulness of her pine hills, Lake Weir stands without a rival in the orange belt, or in the whole land of Florida, or we may even say in the sunny south. It is not the custom of the people living here to disparage any other locality—indeed, they usually say to newcomers, go elsewhere and see. But not only in health and beauty are we unrivaled, but we have some as good groves as any found in the state, of their age. Such groves may be seen at this point on the Lake, at South Lake Weir, at Stanton on East Lake Weir, at North Lake Weir and on Little Lake Weir, so we have many visible effects of what our soil will do. The settlement on North Lake Weir is growing into quite a village. One of the neatest churches in the state has just been erected by the Baptists; Dr. Carson preaches for this congregation on the second Sunday in each month and J. H. Curry on the third. The Christian church has an organization and also the Presbyterians. The former meets on the fourth Sundays and has services in the Baptist church; preaching by J. M. Streator. The later meets on the first and third Sundays; preaching by Rev. Benj. Helms. A public school is in session for five months during the year and two private schools are now in progress. To all who desire health, beauty of scenery and good society, we say, come and see. 

We desire to call attention to the reader to the conspicuous examples of what resolutions and fixedness of purpose will do for men, who invade a new country, determined to carve out a home and secure a competency for themselves and theirs. The first northern settler in these then wilds was Capt. John L. Carney, who came from Tennessee eleven years ago and by his strong right arm has accomplished wonders. He is the owner of 400 acres Hammock lands among the richest and most productive on the lake, both for fruit and vegetable growing. From a commanding crest a mile from the shore, the land gently slopes to the water’s edge, towards both lakes and into it, forming a peninsula  which is now covered with bearing orange and lemon groves among the finest and most productive in the state. 

Slopping into Lake Weir is the celebrated Lemon grove of Ephriam Carney, the Captain’s brother, who from seven acres, sold $5,000 worth of fruit the past season. In succession and running to the east along the lake are the groves of the Turnleys, Bullocks, Wright, Benson, Parr, Toby, Ayers, Eugleton, Martin, Campbell, Myers and others. 

On commanding knolls and bluffs, embowered amidst magnificent oaks, garlanded and wreathed in Spanish moss, amid orange groves, are many elegant residences, the homes of comfort, elegance and refinement, denoting a cultured and educated people, as they are large hearted, hospitable and generousis. 

This portion of the lake enjoys the railroad facilities and advantages of the Florida Southern, from a mile to two distant from the Ocklawaha station. There is also in contemplation a creation of a fine hotel in the midst of this community and on the lake shore the building of a railroad from Silver Spring to North Lake Weir and the establishment of a female seminary.

The east shore is marked by its bold bluffs—25 to 40 feet in height—falling abruptly into the water and the gradual sloping of the land up from the shore to crests of knoll and hill, to altitude equal to the bluffs and running off for miles into the pine woods, into undulating lands dotted here and there with little gems of lakes. Lake Weir contains six islands extending from the north side peninsula, into its shining waters like “gems of purest green serene,” gold and silver setting. All these contain natural or wild groves, which have been budded to the most commanding bluff on the whole lake front. C. P. Kroll, the manager, has already sold seventy-three lots to Northern parties, who will build winter cottages. A large hotel is also in contemplation, to be ready for next season. A mill south of Eastlake, embowered in a grove of nature’s planting, and on a fine bluff is Captain F. H. Lytle’s handsome residence and bearing grove. He is one of the pioneers. 

A mile beyond, on the lake, is Stanton. Here is located the Stanton Lumber Company, which has the capacity of 25,000 feet and is taxed to its utmost for local and export trade. Their supply of logs is secured by clearing the many tracts of lands intended for groves surrounding the lake, hauled to the water’s edge, floated and lashed together and drawn to a mill by a small steamer, which is also used in transporting the oranges and lemons of the different growers to Eastlake, for shipment on the Florida Southern Railway. 

The Messrs. Fred and Ed Butrum (?) are the owners of a fine bearing grove and largely interested in lands, are managers, planters and overseers of groves, bankers and loaners of money on real estate property. They have been residents of Florida and the lake some eight years and to show the high standing and confidence non-residents have in their integrity and business qualities, they have in their management 240 acres of groves and are now preparing to plant 100 acres in orange trees for a Northern company. They have also gone largely into the nursery business. 

A mile beyond, but in sight of the lake, is South Lake Weir station, of which Col. Ed Foster is proprietor. This place is known as Foster Park post office. It is so named because the Colonel will devote a hundred acres of land for park purposes and in time beautify it and adorn it. He is also owner of the Lakeside Hotel, which properly speaking, begins the southside settlement and which has just closed a very successful season. The hotel occupies a desirable location and has made many friends and admirers of the beauties of the lake. Besides these interests he is President of the Foster Grove and Nursery Company, of 100 acres, half of which acreage is or coming into bearing. This valuable property is situated in the rear and west of the hotel. 

Adjoining is the 50 acre Akron (Ohio) Grove of which the Messrs. M. E. and W. W. Gillett are managers, who also own 20 acres in their own right and 50,000 nursery trees, one, two and three years old, of choicest varieties. Mr. M. E. Gillett has also, in an amateur way, successfully cultivated the pineapple. 

However much inclination urges, space forbids us to linger longer and hurriedly we mention names of bearing groves facing the lake and extending to the west end, are C. N. Porter, Dr. D. S. Chase, Sherriff Ed Williams and Hudson, while a short distance back of the lake are Mrs. B. B. Ricker, James Albiston and W. P. Foster & Bro. A mile and a half on the south side station is what is known as South Lake Weir postoffice. Here is received and distributed daily, mail matter to a hundred or more, who, while not aspiring to village or town honors, are a thickly settled community, enjoying within themselves all the social, educational and religious advantages and benefits, which towns could give them and annoyed by none of their disagreeable features. Many of the homes are very comfortable, cozy places, with well laid out and handsomely adorned yards and in a number of cases can be seen a great profusion of the most lovely flowers and variegated and sweet smelling roses. Work is active in clearing lands and planting new groves and the number of acres runs into thousands. 

For what has been hurriedly and imperfectly written, an idea can be formed of the class of people who have cast their fortunes and made their homes around and back from this charming lake and persons from a colder climate who are considering a winter’s stay in Florida, or making a home in it, combining as this region does water and land attractions, a healthfulness unsurpassed the wide state over and communities whose people would be an ornament and pride to any state, we say come, stay and be fully convinced that “the half has not been told.” Source: The Daily Item: 5 1885   

1908 Registered Voters


































CENTRAL


TIDBITS

Mr. Joe Huggins and mother, of Fellowship, are visiting Mr. and Mrs. J. L Beck…Ocala Evening Star: 9-28-1900

Col. W. M. Tunno and Prof. Jno. M. Graham spent Sunday at Shiloh…Ocala Evening Star: 9-28-1900

Miss Eula Reed spent Saturday and Sunday in Micanopy…Ocala Evening Star:  9-28-1900

 


































EUREKA

Registered Voters- 1908

TIDBITS:

Mr. Fred Priest has given up his position as engineer of the Sophia Howard and will work at the logging business, Maj. Priest, for a while. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 6-8-00

Mr. Alex Holly, who has been working at the phosphate mines for the past six months, is at home again. His young son, Judge, has been very sick, but is convalescing. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 6-8-00

 


































FLEMINGTON

Registered Voters - 1908

TIDBITS:

Mrs. C. S. Binnicker, returned to Jacksonville yesterday.Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-24-00

Little Annie Mae Nettles is improving. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-14-1900

Misses Sallie and Lula Whittington were ill last week. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-14-1900

Mrs. C. S. Binnicker, returned to Jacksonville yesterday. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-24-00





































CAPULET

Tidbits:


The Central Lumber C., of Ocala, received their mill and 5600 acres of land at Capulet, $16,000, spot cash. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-8-1903

Miss Frankie Ross, the Capulet school teacher, went to Gaiter this afternoon to spend Sunday with her mother. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 2-12-1904

Marion County School Board
Mr. W. R. Green, a trustee of the Capulet school, appeared and made application for assistance to enlarge and repair the Capulet school house, estimating that it will cost $100. The matter was deferred until a special meeting to be held June 19. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 6-14-1905







































CLARKSVILLE

Tidbits:

W. B. Casonhas a large acreage uder cultivation and the groves under his charge are in a flourishing condition. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 5-11-1900

The postoffice has been discontinued and Weir Park is the distribution point. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 5-11-1900




































MAYVILLE

Tidbits:

Marion County School Board
Dr. H. C. Morrison applied to the board asking that the Board pay the full amount of $25  to carry the children from Mayville to Weirsdale. Mrs. Simpson applied to the board and asked that Mr. Morrison be requested to come by her house and carry, in the wagon, her daughter to school. After considering both requests and studying the distances the board instructed the secretary to write Mr. Morrison and request him to go by Mrs. Simpson's and get her little girl and the board would pay the full $25 per month for six months. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-9-1908

R. B. Ervin, the venerable school teacher at Mayville, was up today doing the Santa Claus act. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 12-23-1907




































SHILOH



































SPRING GROVE

Tidbits:

Mr. G. F. Forrest has settled up his business matters here and started for Savannah again today, where he will be engaged for the present. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-14-1900



































LEITNER



































RIVERSIDE

Tidbits:

Heard For Assault
County Judge Bullock is hearing the case of the state vs.  J. D. Cox for assault. Mr. Rials, of Riverside, Marion County, is the party assaulted. Attorney Calhoun, of Palatka, will defend Cox. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-17-1903

 Spring Grove...R. R. Paston, of Riverside passed through this place Saturday in route from Bartersville to Lake Kerr where he has a large shipment of timber being rafted. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-14-1900

































WYOMA

Tidbits:

Spring Grove...Mr. John Witter of Wyoma was at this place Friday and reports his Irish potatoes, of which he has planted extensively, as coming out nicely again since the freeze. He thinks his prospects good for a fair crop again this season. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-14-1900



































Whittville

Tidbits:

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Whittington’s little son, Harry, has been real sick the last few days, but is improving under the treatment of Dr. Davis. Oes8-26-09

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Fletcher are rejoicing over the arrival of a little son, August 19. Dr. Davis was the attending physician. Mrs. Fletcher is with her mother, Mrs. Stevens. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 8-26-09

Mrs. Vaun and Mrs. Turner spent the day with Mrs. Hunter Sunday. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 8-29-09

Mrs. E. A. Smith who has been on the sick list is able to be up again. Ocala Evening Star: 8-29-09


































Williamson

Tidbits:

The Williamson school was to commence on Sep. 7, but the teacher declined teaching the school, so it will have to get another…Source: Ocala Evening Star; 9-12-1903
































Lake Simonton

Tidbits:

Mr. W. L. Simonton, a successful farmer and trucker from Lake Simonton, was in town today, paying his taxes. Speaking of fine stock he referred to a carload brought to his section by his brother, J. R. Simonton, who put them through the winter in good shape and they are doing well on the spring pastorage. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-29-1905




































Oakvale

Tidbits:

Mrs. H. E. Jones, of the Oakvale section, returned this week from a visit to her daughter at Gainseville, Mrs. Archie Jackson. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-4-1908

The people of Oakvale, in the western part of the county, indulged in a Thanksgiving picnic. The attendance was good and all had a pleasant time. Among the visitors present were Dr. Izlar, wife and child and Mr. Frank Reagan, wife and children of Ocala and Mr. and Mrs. Morris of Archer. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 12-3-1903


































Harlowe

Tidbits:

Mrs. Aiken and Miss Dora Turnipseed of Harlowe visited Mrs. A. J. Leavengood yesterday. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-5-1900

































Ebenezer

Tidbits:

Boardman…Miss Charlotte Farnbach left here last Saturday to assume her duties as teacher of Ebenezer school. We wish her a successful term. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-28-1901

Notice is hereby given that an election will be held at Ebenezer, Marion County, Florida, between the hours of 8 o’clock and sundown of Saturday, August 20th A. D. 1904, for the purpose of creating a special tax school district to be known as the Ebenezer Special Tax School District… Source: Ocala Evening Star: 7-27-1904



































Fellowship

Fellowship is a country locality embracing an area about 75 square miles. The post office is presided over by Capt. James A. McDavid, Mr. S. H. Brown, assistant and is located about nine miles from Ocala and a little north of west of that city. It is on the latest survey of the Live Oak, Tampa and Charlotte Harbor Railroad and three miles from the Silver Springs and Gulf Railroad survey. The nearest railroad station is Martin, five miles distant on the Florida Southern. Jacksonville and Palatka are reached via Martin or Ocala. A mail hack makes two round trips per week from Bronson on the Florida Transit Railroad to Ocala via Williston, Fantville and Fellowship. The present population is about 400 and is constantly increasing. The lands are conceded to be among the very best in Marion County, the banner connay of the state and are held for sale at reasonable prices. We have two general merchandise stores, a saw and grist mill, a Baptist and Christian Church and two schools. Following is a list of prominent orange growers showing the numbers of acres in each grove: M. S. Mosser, 8: J. A. McDavid, 20; F. H. Carter, 8; M. P. Frink, 5; T. J. Sistrunk, 8; J. T. Phillips, 6; J. W. Carter, 5; M. L. Armstrong, 8; John W. Marlow, 5; James H. Badger, 8; E. M. Gregg, 6 and Messrs. Hall and Charles, 40. Principal crops, corn, cotton, potatoes, sugar, cane, peas, peanuts, rice and all kinds of vegetables in the greatest of abundance, health and water as good as any in the county in Marion. Drs. S. H. Blitch and W. R. O. Venlaro, practicing physicians. Any other information will be given by enclosing stamp to L. A. Geiger. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885



































Ocklawaha Station

Ocklawaha Station is on the Florida Southern railway, 16 miles south of Ocala and a half a mile distant from the shinning shores of Lake Weir. It is the receiving and distributing point for North Lake Weir to the west and the Ocklawaha country to the east and south. It is one of the important points on the line of road, does a large business and is constantly on the increase, as the country all around is rapidly filling up with a most desirable class of settlers. Dr. T. J. Myers, an old resident of North Lake Weir, whose home is not a half mile from the station and for a number of years an active practitioner, is the efficient and acceptable Railroad Express agent and postmaster of the place. Mr. John Lee, the doctor’s son-in-law, has built a very desirable home and entertains the public seeking rest and refreshments. R. A. Mills is engaged in merchandising, a saw mill is in active operation and a number of new buildings are in course of erection. The place has, from present indications, a prosperous future before it. Its natural location demanding the trade and traffic of an extended area of settled and cultivated country, its contiguity to the Lake and a number of eligible building sites, gives it promise of a spreading future. Lands reasonable and health the best. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885



































Lynne

Tidbits:

Mrs. M. S. Reynolds, the school teacher of Cotton Plant, is returned to her dear old home on the hill. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-5-1907

Mrs. G. A. Thomas, of Irvine and daughter, Mrs. C. C. Serray, were visitors of their brother and Uncle, Mr. W. M. Deas all last week. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-5-1907
































Irvine

Tidbits:

Mrs. G. A. Thomas, of Irvine and daughter, Mrs. C. C. Serray, were visitors of their brother and Uncle, Mr. W. M. Deas all last week. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-5-1907





































Heather Island

Tidbits:

Mr. Jonas Fort has returned home after a two weeks visit with relatives and friends at Fort Ogdon. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 11-9-1900

Mr. Hamp Price has been at Mr. I. J. Fort’s for a week, hunting and fishing. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 11-9-1900

Mr. I. J. Fort, the prosperous farmer of Heather Island, made a flying trip to Ocala Sunday. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 11-9-1900

Heather Island…Mr. Robert Fort, after two weeks’ vacation, has taken his position with Colonel Rogers again. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 11-9-1905

Heather Island…Misses Eula and Georgia Fort attended a ball at Candler last Thursday night and report having had a good time. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 11-9-1900

Heather Island…Mr. Hamp Price, a very handsome young man, has been sporting on Heather Island. Maybe there is some attraction there for him. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-4-1906

Heather Island…Mr. Evans of Heather Island has purchased Mr. Sam Cauthen’s place here in town. Source: Ocala Evening Star:8-30-1906























Fantville

Tidbits:

R. B. Fant, son of the late Volney Fant, of Fantville, was in town Tuesday calling on his mother and her sister, Mrs. Archie McIver. He said the prospects were fine for oats of which a large acreage has been sowed. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 3-11-1908

Fantville…Mr. R. B. Fant, one of the solid farmers of the Fantville section, was in town today and reported he would start his oat thrasher next week. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 5-28-1908

 




























Berlin




Homeland



Dinner Pond





























Mill Creek

Tidbits:

Mill Creek…Public School Info…Mr. J. S. Grantham reported that he visited the Mill Creek school neighborhood and thought they could run a school and make an average of six pupils. The superintendent was instructed to send a teacher to Mill Creek. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-11-08





























Key Pond

Tidbits:

Superintendent Carn left this morning to visit the following schools across the river: Key Pond, Grahamville, Indian Mound, Eaton Creek, Lynne, Eureka and Moss Bluff. He will be home Friday morning. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-26-1904

Key Pond…Mr. and Mrs. William Graham Holly of Atlanta, after a few days’ visit with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Holly, at Key Pond, have returned to Atlanta. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 7-4-1908





























Eaton Creek

Blaze Pond














































Connor

Tidbits:

Messrs. L. W. Wilson and Griggs, of Connor, were in town today and paid the Star office an appreciated call. Mr. Wilson informed us that the Eaton school would close tomorrow, with appropriate exercises and a big dinner at which all the pupils, parents and friends of the school will be present. Miss Saloma Simms, of Anthony, is the teacher. Source: Ocala Evening Sun: 4-5-1907






























Spring Park

Tidbits:

Mrs. A. Y. Strunk is the organist at church since Miss Bertha went away. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-19-1900

B. F. Hopper left for New York on the 13th to recuperate from a severe attack of fever. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-19-1900

Mr. and Mrs. John Bentley have both been quite ill, but are better at this writing. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-6-1900

























This Page Created June 22, 2012
Copyrighted 2012- Linda Flowers     Updated: 7-19-2016
Return To: Our Towns     Return To: Marion Home    Return To: FLGW