Our Towns Transcribed


























Starks Ferry

Tidbits:

Some of the people calling Starks Ferry home in the early 1900s were J. P. Stevens, C. F. Waterman and Nick Myers. C. F. Waterman ran the ferry for some time, but in 1906, J. L.Henton was appointed ferryman at a salary of $15 per month with a request for the turpentine men using the ferry to supplement his salary. H. C. Morrison had a ten acre patch of some of the finest watermelons around.

Source: Ocala Evening Star





























Daisy

Tidbits:

Mr. H. A. Marsh has returned to Sunday Bluff and resumed his position. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-14-1905

Mr. A. P. Marsh, of our burg spent last Sunday at Grahamville. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-14-1905

Mr. L. B. Marsh of this place was in Ocala last Monday. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-14-1905

 Mr. H. A. Marsh, from Sunday Bluff, is visiting relatives and friends in our burg this week. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 8-31-1905





























Buck Pond

Tidbits:

Some of the persons calling Buck Pond Home in the early 1900s were J. F. Pedrick, J. C. Folks and J. B. McGehee who were trustees of the new school district created in a special election in 1902. The Ocala Evening Star on July 17, 1909 announced the tenth annual picnic of Buck Pond among the local events.

Source: Ocala Evening Star



























Early Bird

Tidbits:

Mr. Howell of New Jersey was scouting out Early Bird for a location to build a saw mill, but eventually chose York instead, a couple of years later. In 1901 Miss Lorena Allen was the school teacher of Early Bird. Some of the residents in 1903 were W. E. Veal, General P. Murphy, Abraham J. Mention, Lee Peck and Joe Roberts. 1905 brought changes as the Early Bird Post Office was discontinued and the mail was being sent to Standard.

Source: Ocala Evening Star




























York

Tidbits:

In 1903 the ACL built a new depot with its own agent and operator in York and the W. E. Veal & Co. moved their commissary from Early Bird to York.

Source: Ocala Evening Star














































Montague

Tidbits:

Montague ...located 3 miles south of Ocala. In 1903 Mr. C. I. Grace and others, bought the Central Lumber Company and moved his family from Martel to Montague, as he took over as manager of the company. Mr. W. A. Tiller, farmer, Mr. Fort and C. C. Fogelstrom were residents of Montague.

Source: Ocala Evening Star











































Standard

Tidbits:

In 1909... partners A. M. Goodwin and A. M. Weathers were turpentine operators in Standard.
Source: Ocala Evening Star

Mrs. M. A. Norwood has just returned from a business trip to Jacksonville and other points…Ocala Evening Star: 9-1-1900

Dr. J. Boozer is on the sick list…Ocala Evening Star: 9-1-1900

Mrs. J. S. Stewart, has just received a fine crate of pineapples from her daughter, Mr. A. K. Wilson, of the Titusville Advocate…Ocala Evening Star: 7-2-1900

The Union Phosphate Plant, Captain Porter, manager, opened again on Monday. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

Dr. J. E. Boozer received a fine pack of fox hounds from Georgia last week. They have already killed several of as fine foxes as has ever been seen in this county. Fox hunting is quite the thing nowadays. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

The family of Mr. L. A. Wilcox still continues sick. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

Mr. Connie and his able force are still shipping ties. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

 E. Thomas has just completed two large drying sheds for the Don Hazel Plants. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

Jos. A. Tremble is putting down a well at the poor farm, near Ocala. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

W. I. Knox and R. L. Booth are getting out fine hardwood for the Spoke and Rim factory in Ocala. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900

Private school opened here last Monday, with Miss Lily Mason, daughter of Judge H. G. Mason, as teacher. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-24-1900











































Heidtville

Tidbits:

Heidtville was established in the early 1800s. Some residents in Heidtville in 1908 were Lottie Warren, school teacher, J. M. Monroe, Sam Jordon, G. H. Dorr, T. C. Brassell and the Hon. W. l. Jordon. Mr. S. W. Petteway was a prominent turpentine operator at Heidtville, which also boasted of having a Literary Social Club. Mr. C. L. Strictland was a successful sugar cane farmer. T. W. Lyles was the first postmaster of Heidtville. The town died out early 1900s and is now a ghost town.

Source: Ocala Evening Star










































Calvary

Tidbits:

Some residents of Calvary included J. W. Morrison, George Clements and A. S. Wallace. Mrs. M. E. Wallace took first place in the "Sun's" complete verse contest representing Calvary.

Source: Ocala Evening Star








































Rock Springs









































Juliette

Juliette was settled in 1850. At one time it had several stores and various other businesses. It was two miles north of Dunnellon, but is now a ghost town.




































Romeo

Romeo is a ghost town lying four miles north of Dunnellon on Hwy 41. It was settled in the early 1850s. Now a ghost town.

1908 Registered Voters








































Boardman

Boardman is a ghost town, but some of the residents calling Boardman home at one time were F. G. Sampson, with  one of the largest groves and J. A. Pagan another large grower.

This is a thriving little place having one store and several residences and is a large orange producing district. Several gentlemen residing at this point may justly be termed the pioneers of orange culture. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885


Source: Ocala Evening Star







































Anthony

     Four years ago the harbinger of prosperity to this section, the locomotive, came, day by day, advancing slowly, but surely, through the pine woods where the town of Anthony now stands. From the depot and one store of three years ago there now stands a thriving village, populated by about fifty families of “all-year-round” residents, from Southern, Northern and Western states, all dwelling together in perfect peace and harmony. Two hotels give comfort to the stranger; five stores provide necessities for outer and inner man and a drugstore provides for sickness, which we are glad to state is rare, as well as furnishing paints, oil , notions, etc. The village blacksmith and livery stable also add to the accommodations of the place. The large new school house presents advantages to those desiring education for their children and also provides temporary accommodations for the large religious congregations and thriving Sabbath school. For the purpose of recreation and accomplishing good we have a Masonic lodge, temperance society and weekly literary and reading society.

     From the first few boxes of beans stored in a box car in lieu of a depot, the shipping interests of both vegetables and oranges, have rapidly increased and are now numbered by thousands of pounds.

     Being high pine with a growth of hickory and oak mixed, it possesses the advantages of perfect health, freedom from malaria, swamps and mosquitoes and at the same time offers a good soil. As to its adaptability to orange culture, the numerous groves surrounding the place speak for themselves, as do the peach orchids, LeConte pear groves and the large acreage of vegetables and melons.

     There is a conspicuous absence of state or public lands about the place, but the lands of the Owens estate and those of the late Colonel Anthony (in whose honor the town was named) bring large tracks very cheap into the market.

     Lying as it does on the line of the F. R. R. & Co., midway between the famous Silver Spring and the equally famous Orange Lake groves, only eight miles from the county seat, Ocala, and being backed by a good farming country, we anticipate a prosperous future and offer these advantages to those who desire a home in the orange belt of Florida. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885



1908 Registered Voters

Tidbits:

Henry Raysor has returned from a trip over the lines of the Plant System. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 5-14-00

Rev. W. H. Coleman, wife and daughter spent some days here recently as the guests of Mr. Keeny and family. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 5-14-00

Mrs. I. C. Kendrick has had the painting of her residence begun. Soon it will become a beautiful white, under the brush of Mr. Singleton. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 8-30-1901

Some of the primary crop growers in Anthony at one time were E. L. Howell, G. H. Keeney and T. A. Lamb. Source: Ocala Evening Star

Alvius Strand was in Anthony this week. His mother, Mrs. M. D. Strand, may return to Anthony soon to live. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-24-1901

Mrs. W. Wesley Smith is on a visit to her parents at Moss Bluff. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-24-1901

We regret to learn of the death of James Roach. He was for several years a resident here. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-24-1901













































Vogt Springs

Vogt Springs was supposedly the site of the first phosphate discovery in Florida. It is now a ghost town.










































Kerr City

Kerr City was the second town layed out in 1884 in Marion County. A stage stop between St John's River and Ocala, and included A hotel, post office, school, church stores and a saw mill. It is now a ghost town however it has been well preserved.







































Cedar Landing

Cedar Landing was five miles from Orange Springs. The residents applied for a new school in 1908.

Source: Ocala Evening Star








































Pedro

Pedro was a settlement five miles west of Summerfield, which was a station on the Seaboard Air Line Railway. It was named by an old Mexican war soldier, Mr. P. B. Pedro who came in 1883. In 1901 there were eighteen families that called Pedro home.
When the Pedro High School Literary Society was organized in 1905, the following persons were  elected: Miss Fair Perry, president; Mr Charlie Perry, vive-president;Miss Mattie Leitner, secretary and Miss Bertha Snow, critic. In 1908 A new school was built. The teachers were...Lizzie and Blanch Proctor, Miss Snow and Nannie Perry. Mr. M. M. Proctor was a leading farmer and trucker. He also ran a store and was the postmaster. Source: Ocala Evening Star

1908 Registered Voters


































Churchill

In 1908 the Churchill School was granted a stove and piping and material for repairs. Source: Ocala Evening Star

Tidbits:

Churchill…Mr. E. F. Smith has lately sold one of his dwelling houses to Mr. Townsend, from which he intends to put up a commissary at his turpentine camp near Salt Springs. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-25-1900

Churchill…Mr. Gus Falany and our little friend, Norman McRae, have been on the sick list, but we are glad to say they are improving. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 10-25-1900









































Dallas

In 1908 the Dallas School was granted ten dollars for an addition.

Source: Ocala Evening Star










































Linadale

In 1900 a petition was signed by all patrons of the school giving consent for the old school house to be moved. In 1902 an election was held for the purpose of creating a special tax school district and in 1908 trustees of the school were authorized to sell the old East Lake school house. Some of the residents of Lindale were Mr. R. B. Ervine, Mr. C. A. McCraney and Mr. George Drawdy. Source: Ocala Evening Star

1908 Registered Voters









































Gaiterville

Some of the residents of Gaiterville were H. A. Ross, Rev. B. T. Rape and Mr. W. H. Shackleford the postmaster.

Source: Ocala Evening Star













































Charter Oak

Some residents of Charter Oak in 1908 were Asa Redding and W. M. Scroggie.

Source: Ocala Evening Star







































Fort King

Fort King News Article













































Santos

This station is located on the Florida Railway and Navigation Company’s line, seven miles south of Ocala. It is not a year old, but considerable work has been done in clearing land and setting out groves of oranges, LeConte pears and raising vegetables. A number of families have settled around it and quite a community has grown up. Pine lands of very good quality can be had, ranging in price from $10 to $25 an acre, while hammock land located from a mile to two west of the depot, $50 to $75 per acre. These lands belong to what is known as the Osceola hammock of the Long Swamp range, known for fertility, productiveness and adaptability for growing, orange trees, corn, cotton, rye, oats and the different varieties of vegetables, have few equals in the state. J. M. Liddell carries on a general store, runs a saw mill, furniture factory, is express and railroad agent and postmaster. Mr. L can be addressed for further particulars as to the advantages, etc. affecting this locality; also the Messrs. Mathews, whose material interests center in the rich hammock lands of this place. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

Historic Santos Recreation Area









































Evinston

History of Evinston
Historical Evinston













































Cotton Plant

Cotton Plant 1885

Cotton Plant is a rural country embracing 108 square miles of high, rolling, fertile land, situated in the western portion of Marion County, twenty miles from the Gulf of Mexico and seventy from the Atlantic Ocean. It has a population of 1,000 and has two churches, two schools, a store and post office. There are in round numbers, 900 acres planted in orange trees, most of which has been planted within the past few years. The vocation of its citizens in the past has been agricultural, confining themselves to raising corn, sea island cotton, oats, sugar, syrup, peas, potatoes, rice and pinders and raising a home supply of meats, which under the old system was remunerative. In its early settlement, wild orange trees abounded in the hammocks, which, under the ruthless hand of ignorance as to their value, were well-nigh exterminated by the first settlers. As a matter of ornamentation, small groves of orange trees were planted around the dwellings of some of the first settlers, which, without any special attention, grew vigorously and have not failed to produce a paying crop during the past twenty years, which in flavor, size and color compare with the most favored localities of the state. A computation of statistics show that there wear raised the past year, 2000 crates of oranges, 1,800 crates of vegetables, 500 barrels of Irish potatoes, 4,000 gallons of syrup, 4,000 pounds of sugar, 2,000 bushels of oats, 10,000 bushels of corn, sweet potatoes and slaughtered 10,000 pounds of pork. During the past six months, forty homesteads have been entered, embracing 6,400 acres and 3,000 have been entered at private entry. The Silver Spring, Ocala and Gulf Railway is now being located in this section, which when completed will cause it to “flourish like a green bay tree” planted by the rivers of water. Lands are cheap and some government land remains unentered. Immigration is invited and H. W. Long, a citizen of twenty years residence, will cheerfully answer questions and aid immigrants in locating. Cotton Plant has an elevation of 140 feet above the level of the sea. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

1908 Registered Voters

Tidbits







































Candler

     A station on the Florida Southern Ry., fifteen miles south of Ocala, unlike her sisters all over the land, is not consumed with town or city aspirations. It coverts none of these. It is growing steadily and surely into that kind of a community which the projector of the place, W. H. DeLong, designed, when less than a year ago he felled the first pine tree to make a clearing, where his present home now stands. Mr. D’s aim has been to dispose in lots of five, ten and twenty acres. He has succeeded admirably, and drawn around him a community of twenty or more families of his old friends and neighbors from  Missouri, who are making very desirable improvements by, planting groves, erecting houses, some of which are very cozy, comfortable and slightly buildings and they are well pleased with their new Marion County homes. A mile west of the station is Smith’s Lake, a fine body of water, several miles in length and a half a mile wide, its shores dotted with residences and young groves, while in the lake is an island of forty acres, on which a very thriving bearing orange and lemon grove exists, the property of Colonel Bullock, Ocala.
     One of the representative men of Candler is J. T. Henderson, who successfully operated a saw and planning mill, fruit and crate factory. Besides shipping a good home demand, he does a profitable export trade and is growing a very promising grove. The Candler Hotel is owned and managed by L. B. Maltby. To those who have had occasion to use its accommodations, no words of commendations are needed. To those who contemplate testing its home-like and admirable management, a short sojourn will suffice to satisfy the most exacting and impress them with the fact that the genial host and motherly hostess know “how to run a hotel.” Mr. M. is also an orange grower and has devoted much time, study and research to the history of the citrus family. E. W. Kent and A. D. Moore are the young bachelor representatives of this place. They have fifteen acres in orange trees, some coming into bearing and are growing finely. Tom M. Rickard’s beautiful home and bearing grove is ample evidence of what a man can do if he but wills it. His grove is a living witness.
     Those contemplating or seeking new homes among an exemplary community cannot go amiss in taking in Candler in their prospecting. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

 

1908 Registered Voters










































Belleview

Belleview is on the F. R. & N.Co.’s Lines ten miles south of Ocala. The Marion Land Improvement Company own about 4000 acres of land, composed of pine and hammock, which they are disposing of to parties in 5, 10 and 20 acre tracts. The lands are among the most desirable in the county. Quite a community has gathered and some thirty homes have been established…a number of very attractive houses. The new comers are mostly from the New England States and the company has been very careful of the kind of people they have invited into their midst, desiring none but sober, industrious and moral men. It is proposed that the village which they have founded shall be a model in temperance, education and religion. The tone of the community may be gaged when it is stated an active, aggressive temperance organization, numbering 70 members, meets weekly and participate in a pleasant literary and musical entertainment. Plans are executed for a commodious hall, school and church building. C. I Robinson, of Jacksonville, is president of the company, E. W. Agnew, merchant and capitalist, Ocala, treasurer and J. H. Foss, late of Massachusetts, manager. The place has several general stores, of which, Messrs. Trask & Newman and Smith & Stone are the proprietors, a hotel, two saw mills, bakery, meat market, barber shop, etc. There are several small orange groves bearing in the vicinity…W. W. Mason’s, the old Walker place, Mrs. Owen’s and Rouch’s. These demonstrate that oranges grow here as thriftily as elsewhere in the county and state. Many new ones are being planted. Mr. Mason who has resided here for 25 years, says the health of the country is good...never had better. Mr. Joseph C. Gafford a few years ago, began an experiment with strawberry plants in his rich hammock land several miles southwest of the village, and with no previous knowledge of preparation for the work have had the plants thrive wonderfully. What were a few hundred plants has expanded into a five acre strawberry bed and the yield has been satisfactory and the returns profitable. Up to this writing, his shipments cover several months and prices realized from one dollar down to 40 cents per quart. The express charges and expense of picking has averaged 13 cents per box. His shipments begun with 100 boxes per week, increased to 500. Others have been stimulated in this work by his example and planted on pine land 30 years under cultivation and without any fertilizer have secured a perfect stand and an abundance of that most delicious of fruit. What a possibility does not this branch of horticulture indicate and open up for profit in the future, to those who will embark in it with the proper spirit. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885

  




































Leroy

Tidbits:

Master Fred Armstead has been quite sick. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-6-05
Mr. J. M. Harrelson has lost quite a number of his hogs from cholera. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-6-05




































Lowell

Tidbits:

Mrs. Leila Whitehead and Miss Edna Livingston have been visiting relatives in South Carolina. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 7-28-1900

Miss Net Livingston is spending a short time in St. Petersburg. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 7-28-1900

It is rumored that J. M. Meffert has sold his sawmill and lime kiln. We hope it is but a rumor. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 1-22-1900








































Elmwood

Tidbits:

Elmwood…Mrs. E. J. Atkins, widow of the late Edward Atkins, arrived in town today and went to Elmwood to visit her nephew, C. C. Rawls. Mrs. Atkins was formerly a resident of that section. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 2-28-1903






































Homeland

Tidbits:

 Homeland…Supt. Carn returned home this noon from visiting the schools of Romeo, Buck Pond, Homeland, in the western portion of the county and reports they are doing well. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 2-1-1907









































Dexter

Tidbits:

Dexter… From Fort McCoy…The artisan well at Dexter is progressing slowly, as they are constantly breaking and losing drills. It is now down to a depth of 300 feet. Indications are that a sufficient flow can soon be had if no other hindrances are encountered. Mr. Gibson, who is interested in the company, is here, looking after the sinking of the well and the putting in of some new machinery. This company is also having County Supervisor Moorhead to establish lines and corners all around their 15,000 acres of land. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-11-1905













































Blitchton

Tidbits:

Blitchton…There will be preaching at this place Sunday, Nov. 13, by Rev. J. C. Porter. All are cordially invited to attend. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-29-1898

Blitchton…Gertrude Ferguson has lost the use of her limbs and cannot sit up. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-29-1898






































Marshville

Tidbits:

Marshville…From Daisy…The pump that was being put down at the Marshville school seems to be a failure after being driven 143 feet. Another trial will be made in another place. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 9-14-1905








































Dinner Pond

Tidbits:

Dinner Pond…The superintendent was instructed to sell the old Dinner Pond school house for $25. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 11-9-1906

Dinner Pond…An application from J. F. Pedrick, supervisor of Dinner Pond school, was read, asking the board to allow $10 to repair the school house as the underworks was in bad condition. The application was ordered filed and action deferred until June. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 4-5-1900








































Oaklawn

This is a private estate and station and is one of the most attractive on the Florida Southern R’y. It fronts for two miles on Orange Lake and has a bearing grove of twenty acres, a residence of twenty-two rooms, terraced lawn, ornamental shade trees and shrubbery and a large two-and-a-half story packing house. Source: The Daily Item: 5-1885







































Zuber

Tidbits:

Miss Alta Grace and Miss Mack paid Miss Lee Raines a visit Saturday evening. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 8-27-1908

Mr. J. N. Tiller is improving rapidly with his broken leg. Source: Ocala Evening Star: 8-27-1908





































This Page Created February 15, 2011
Copyrighted 2011-  Linda Flowers      Last Updated: 3-1-2017
 Return To: Marion Home