Arthur Jones

The subject of this sketch was born at Cuthbert,Ga., Jan. 24, 1821. For twenty years he resided around that place and in his youthful days was a playmate of the Creek Indians and became an expert in manly sports and skilled with the rifle.

In 1841 he moved from Cuthbert, Ga., to Lake City, Fla., then known as Alligator and for several years vibrated between that point, Otter Creek, Nutcaliga Hammock and Tampa. At the Hammock he pre-emted land under the armed occupation act and after staying there a year or so went back to Gulf Hammock, known as Hodge’s ferry, near the mouth of the Withlacoochee river, where he was residing at the breaking out of the war of 1861. He entered the Confederate service; afterwards was captured, taken to Cedar Keys and, after a short confinement was paroled.

It was then he was married and by that union had one child, Alexander.

At the close of the war, Mr. Jones traded his place at Hodge’s ferry for Steve Barker’s place at Cotton Plant, where he resided for two years. He then moved to the head of Blue Springs, where he resided until 1871, when he bought a homestead about five miles southeast of the head of Blue Springs, a short distance from the run and what is known as the site of Capt. Sam Agnew’s mill, where he died Jan. 26, 1900, after a few days illness, attended by his wife and grandson, Charles Jones.

On the 3rd day of March 1867, he took for his second wife, Miss Ruth M. Dean, who survives him without issue.

Parson Stockton, who was a well-known Methodist circuit rider of that day and who lived in the Cotton Plant district, performed the marriage ceremony. The witnesses to the nuptial event were Jesse and Shirley Nobles, the former being the only person living who witnessed the wedding.

The only relatives who survive Mr. Arthur Jones are his grandsons, Charles and Luther Jones, the former occupying the old homestead, the latter now in Cuba.

The deceased took an active part in the Indian troubles in the state when he was a young man, though he never belonged to any organized company. As stated, he was thoroughly versed in the Indian character, was a splendid marksman and as fearless as man could be.

Mr. Jones was a man of commanding height, being over six feet tall, as straight as an arrow and never lost his bearing to the day of his death, though seventy-nine years and two days old.

The deceased was also a man of fine mind and good judgment. Though he never had any school advantages, he was a close reader of current events. He was an excellent farmer and for many years after the war and up to 1885 was well known to the business men of Ocala. He was one of the Pioneer settlers to this county. Peace to his ashes.

Transcribed, Formatted and Submitted  by Linda Flowers

Ocala Evening Star: 2-10-1900

This Page Created October 16, 2013
by Linda Flowers
Return To: Marion Home     Return To: FLGW