Castle San Marcos National Monument (formerly Fort San Marcos) was begun by the Spaniards in 1672, and required 84 years in building, slaves being compelled to dothe work.The thickest part of the fort walls is 40 ft. The structure covers five acres. It was bombarded in 1744 by Governor Oglethorpe of the Colony of Georgia. It is built of coquina and is said to be the best preserved specimen in the world of the millitary architecture of its time. It is theoldest fortification on the western continent. Its walls and watch towers remain intact, but its guns are dismounted and the moat is dry. It is in all respects, a castle built after the plan of those of the middle ages of Europe. There are inner and outer barriers, the barbican, the drawbridge, porcullis, wicket and all appliances of such fortifications. In 1936 the terreplein of the northeast bastion caved in, exposing a deep and dismal dungeon. Impelled by curiosity the U.S. Millitary Engineer descended into this dungeon, where to his surprise, he discovered the remainsof human bones.
Old City Gates — All that remains of the wait which together with the moat once protected the city on the north. Built by the Spaniards in 1741. Rebuilt in 1804.
Oldest House—Property of the St. Augustine Historical Society,and Institute of Science, St. Augustine, Florida.
On Francis Street, beside the old barracks and five minuteswalk from the Plaza, directly south along the Sea Wall to the end. Then look to the right and you will see The House under Four Flags. Open daily from 8A.M. to 6P.M.Guide inattendance.
Approach to Fort Marion. Showing the barbacan on left with bridge over moat to entrance. In the distance may be seen Anastasia Island and the Light House.
Old Fort Marion and Old City Gates
Courtesy of Hazel Boyd (1938)
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, St. Augustine "Spanish Castillo de San Marcos is the oldest complete masonry fortification remaining in the continental U.S. Construction was started in 1672. Its 16-foot-thick walls are built of coquina, a natural shellrock quarried on nearby Anastasia Island. The Castillo with stood major English attacks on1702 and 1749, and in its later years as a prison held many men famous in U.S. History."
Courtesy of Hazel Boyd
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument and Matanzas Bay, St. Augustine: "This fort was built by the Spaniards in the years following 1672. It is now the oldest existing fortification in the United States. Over it have flown the flags of Spain, Great Britain, the Confederacy and the United States.
On quaint old St. George Street, just inside the City Gates, stands the Oldest School House, under three flags. A Spanish map of 1788 shows this house of wood "in fair condition".
A replica of this Oldest School House was used in comparison with the most modern school building, at A Century of Progress Exposition.
This old red cedar school house is open to visitors daily.
Hotel Ponce de Leon, St. Augustine, Fla. Built 1885. One of the famous East Coast system hostelries. Spanish style of architecture. Cost $2,000,000; considered one of the finest hotels in the world. Has five acres of roof.
Memorial (Presbyterian) Church Erected by Henry M. Flagler as a memorial to his daughter. It provides also a resting place for the body of the great Florida developer in a mausoleum of dignified design at the west side of the
The Public Market, St. Augustine, Fla —Oldest City in the United States Located in the Plaza, the Market faces Matanzas Bay. Here in 1598 the Spanish Governor established the first public market and first standard system of wieghts and measures. The present structure dates from 1824.
Charlotte Street St.Augustine, Fl.
One of St. Augustine's quaint streets, showing old houses of coquina and overhanging balconies. Formerly the center of business activity. Completely destroyed by the big fire of April2, 1914.
Courtesy of Hazel Boyd (postmark 1949)
Quaint Old St. George St., St. Augustine, The Oldest City in the United States: "One of the four original north and south roads inside the fortifications of teh military city of the first Spanish regime. In early times called "CALLE A PUERTA DE LA TIERRA"(Street to the Land Gate) it begins at the Old City Gates and extends the length of the Old City. Its shops are haunts of antique collectors."
A Penny Post Card
Courtesy of Hazel Boyd
Young Three Year Old Baby Alligators at Casper's Gator Jungle, St. Augustine: "Many thousands of rare birds, ostriches,crocodiles and reptiles. Varieties of Merchandise,Shoes and Souvenirs VISIT CASPER'S GATORJUNGLE 2 Miles North of St. Augustine, FloridaonU.S. Highway No. 1"
Courtesy of Hazel Boyd
Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine: "This ancient fortress on the Matanzas River was originally built in 1565. It was destroyed in 1586 by Sir Francis Drake. The present fort was finished in 1756."