Madison County, FL History
Madison County is Florida's 14th county,
established on December 26, 1827 from a segement of Jefferson County, FL.
Madison County gained it's name from James Madison (1751-1836), the 4th
President of the United States (1809-1817). Madison County was orignally called
Hickstown after the Seminole Indian Chief John Hicks.
City of Madison was founded on land secured from Madison C. Livingston,
May 2nd, 1838 and was established as the County Seat. The other two
municipalities are the Town of Greenville and the Town of Lee. Other
Communities include Blue Springs, Cherry Lake, Eridu, Hamburg,
Hopewell, Lovett, New Hope, Pinetta and Sirmans as well as many
forgotten communities thru the years.
When chartered in 1827 Madison was Florida's
largest county since then Taylor, Lafayette and Dixie Counties have been
established from Madison County.