members of Old Co. D, Second Infantry, Florida National Guard held a
reunion for the first time Saturday in the new Legion Memorial
Building, and presented hands for clasps that time and dangers past
have made firmer.
They were assembled by their first Captain, William Steitz, and addressed by their first Colonel, Maj. Gen. Albert H. Blanding, Bartow, who commanded the infantry when it went to the border in 1916 and saw service with it. The regiment, stationed at Laredo, Texas, was in minor engagements with Mexican rebbels along the 86 mile front on the Rio Grande.
Made a part of the 124th. infantry at Camp Wheeler, the company sailed for France early in the World War under the command of Col. Richmond P. Smith, first battalion, and Capt. Steitz. It was broken up in France and its companies scattered, principally amoung units in the 42d division. Its men knew war on nearly every front and some of them never returned.
Those registered for the reunion included;